Physis 3D Handlepost
3D-Forged = Even Stronger, Stiffer, Better Ride
The handlepost is the Achilles heel of most folding bikes – it is incredibly difficult to make a handlepost that doesn’t flex like a wet noodle when you’re cranking up a hill. We don’t generally brag but the Physis 3D is in a class by itself when it comes to strength and stiffness. We literally could not break the Physis in testing and ended up turning off the test machines after we surpassed the EN standard by 400%. The Physis 3D gets its incredible strength from the 3D forging technology which creates the post from a single block of aluminum. Material distribution is optimized for strength and all welds are eliminated. In fact only a few forging companies in the world can produce such a large, complicated, and precise forging. The end result? Tern bikes that ride great.
- Massive Strength — To eliminate flex, the Physis Joint knuckle was beefed up and made wider by moving the pivoting surfaces outward from the center axis. Fork steerer interface with the handlepost was increased by 150%.
- Flux Technology — The base of the Physis is machined so it functions as a zero-flex, zero-play headset top cover. Patented.
- Interlocking Halves — Unfolded, the joint surfaces lock together to improve torsional stiffness.
- Redundant Double Bolts — Two bolts clamp the handlepost to the fork steerer for improved safety.
- Igus Bearings — The patented design puts sliding bearings between the moving parts so the folding action is always smooth and friction-free. Patented.
- Large, Smooth Lever — Large rounded surfaces are easy on your hands and give good leverage for easy operation.
- AutoLok Technology — Close the lever and it automatically locks in place, for extra, easy security.
- Floating Point Technology — Patented technology allows the lever to fold flat and brace against the joint for protection in transit.
- Serviceable — Good things are made to last and that’s why the Physis is designed to be fully dealer serviceable. We keep every part in stock and replacing the bearings can be done in minutes.
- TriSeal design — Three custom-tooled rubber seals keep weather out and the headset bearings functioning smoothly.
- Precision-machined — A machining tolerance of only 50 microns ensures a tight fit and eliminates looseness and rattling.
- Stainless Steel Bolts — Cold-worked stainless hardware delivers the durability and reliability needed for daily riding.
- N-Fold geometry — The Physis features a unique patented geometry with a forward facing hinge for additional safety. So even if you lend your bike to friends and they forget to close the lever, it won’t open when they push forward on the handlebars.