The DuoStand is a sturdy dual kickstand that provides extra stability when loading and unloading your Tern cargo bike. In this article, we answer some of the most common questions, with useful links to help you find the information you're looking for.
- What Is the DuoStand / DuoStand Ends / DuoStand HSD Kit?
- Is the DuoStand Compatible With My Bike?
- Should I Get the DuoStand?
- How Do I Install the DuoStand on the HSD?
- How Do I Install the DuoStand on the Quick Haul/Short Haul?
- How Do I Install the DuoStand S on the NBD?
- I Have an HSD and a DuoStand Gen 1. Can I Upgrade the Kickstand?
- Should I Get the Lockstand Extensions?
1. What Is the DuoStand / DuoStand Ends / DuoStand HSD Kit?
The DuoStand family includes different products. Here's a short description to help you identify them:
DuoStand Gen 1
Dual-leg kickstand for the HSD.
DuoStand Gen 2
Dual-leg kickstand. Compatible with various Tern cargo bikes.
Dual-leg kickstand for the NBD.
Replaceable feet for the DuoStand Gen 2. May be used with the DuoStand Gen 1 as an upgrade.
DuoStand HSD Kit
Mounting hardware. May be needed to install the DuoStand Gen 2 on the HSD.
2. Which DuoStand should I get for my bike?
The DuoStand was originally designed for the HSD e-cargo bike, but its current version is compatible with additional bike platforms. The DuoStand S was designed for the NBD and is the newest addition to the family.
|DuoStand Gen 1||HSD|
|DuoStand Gen 2||
3. Should I Get the DuoStand?
If you plan to carry loads, yes. The DuoStand helps keep your bike steady when loading or unloading, so we highly recommend it if you want to carry:
- A young passenger in a child seat, Clubhouse Mini, or Clubhouse Fort Mini
- A dog in a Doghouse Mini
- All sorts of cargo in the Cargo Hold 37 Panniers on Tern’s cargo bikes, or daily groceries in the Cargo Hold 28 Pannier on the NBD
However, if you are always riding light (ie. without heavy cargo or passengers), then chances are your stock kickstand will do the job and you don't need to spend extra on a new kickstand.
4. How Do I Install the DuoStand on the HSD?
In some cases, you may need additional hardware to install the kickstand on the HSD. Please check out this article before purchasing and installing the DuoStand (Gen 1 or Gen 2) on your HSD.
5. How do I install the DuoStand on the Quick Haul or Short Haul?
If you have a DuoStand Gen 2 and either a Quick Haul or a Short Haul, the installation process is simple. Carefully read the manual before starting, and don't be afraid to contact your Tern dealer if you are unsure how to install the DuoStand.
6. How Do I Install the DuoStand S on the NBD?
If you have an NBD, the DuoStand S installation process is pretty similar to that of the DuoStand. Please read the manual thoroughly, and contact your Tern dealer if you encounter any problems.
7. I Have an HSD and a DuoStand Gen 1. Can I Upgrade the Kickstand?
Yes, you can! If you have a DuoStand Gen 1, you can add a pair of DuoStand Ends to enjoy all the benefits of the DuoStand Gen 2 without having to buy a whole new kickstand. Read all about it in this article.
If you'd like to upgrade, we strongly recommend working with your dealer, since the process requires using a hacksaw to shorten the legs of your DuoStand Gen 1 before installing the DuoStand Ends.
8. Should I Get the Lockstand Extensions?
It depends on which DuoStand you have. The Lockstand Extensions were originally designed for the GSD kickstand, but they are also compatible with the DuoStand Gen 2. For HSD, Quick Haul, and Short Haul riders, the Lockstand Extensions are an optional upgrade that provides even more stability when carrying fully-loaded panniers, for example. However, we do not recommend using the Lockstand Extensions in combination with the DuoStand S.
However, keep in mind that the Lockstand Extensions do increase the footprint of the DuoStand. This means they will "stick out" if your panniers are empty and folded flat. We recommend evaluating your needs and your accessory setup before deciding.