How to Install and Use the Lockstand QuadStruts
This article refers to GSD Gen 2 bikes.
If you have a GSD Gen 2 electric cargo bike and frequently use it to carry heavy loads, the Lockstand QuadStruts are a great choice to provide a wider kickstand span and add even more stability to your setup.
This article is for you if you are planning to install the Lockstand QuadStruts on your own, or if you'd like to know more about the installation process before you decide whether you should DIY or bring your bike to your dealer.
- Before Installing
- What You'll Need
- How to Install the Lockstand QuadStruts
- How to Use the Lockstand QuadStruts
This article is intended to serve as a helpful resource for Tern bicycle owners. It is for informational and educational purposes only. Use this information at your own risk. Consult with your authorized Tern dealer for professional advice and assistance.
1. Before Installing
As much as we all love to DIY here at Tern, we also recognize that some of the accessories we create are more complex than others when it comes to installation.
Therefore, we strongly recommend working with a professional bicycle mechanic if you are unsure how to install the Lockstand QuadStruts on your bike.
If you have the skills and tools needed for the installation and would like to do it on your own, please read the manual thoroughly and proceed with caution. Also, make sure you read this article carefully and watch the accompanying video before starting the installation.
2. What You'll Need
You may need additional items and tools that are not included in the Lockstand QuadStruts package. Please check the lists below:
- 3 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm, and 8 mm Allen Wrenches
- 8 mm, 10 mm, 13 mm, and 17 mm Open Wrenches
- Anti-seize lubricant
- User Manual
3. How to Install the Lockstand QuadStruts
- Both QuadStrut Legs come with a cable tie around the spring. Do not cut the cable ties until instructed.
- Check that both tires have a pressure between 40-55 psi.
- If your GSD is equipped with a derailleur, please shift to the lowest gear.
- Add anti-seize lubricant to the tip of the bolts before securing the nuts.
- Tighten all bolts to the appropriate torque.
The following is a summary of the installation process. For details on the tools and parts required for each step, please refer to the manual.
- Install the Lockstand Extensions on your GSD kickstand (also known as 'Atlas Lockstand'). Get the Lockstand Extensions manual here.
- Remove the plastic plate from the bike's lower deck on the drive side.
- Install the right QuadStruts Leg, following steps 3-10 of the User Manual.
- Reinstall the plastic plate on the bike's lower deck.
- Repeat the process to install the left QuadStruts Leg on the non-drive side of the bike.
- Adjust the ground clearance on both sides of the bike. Please refer to the User Manual for more information.
The video below is a great addition to the User Manual that covers all the steps required to install the Lockstand QuadStruts:
4. How to Use the Lockstand QuadStruts
Never leave passengers or pets on a parked bike unattended.
Engaging and Disengaging the Kickstand
The QuadStruts work in tandem with the GSD kickstand, so you will always engage both at the same time. This means the QuadStruts also stay engaged whenever the Atlas Lockstand kickstand is locked.
To engage the QuadStruts, hold the handlebar with both hands, and use your foot to push the Lockstand Extensions down. Pull the bike backwards (and over the Atlas Lockstand) until you feel resistance. Then, push the handlebar down until the Atlas Lockstand is locked into place.
To disengage the QuadStruts, disengage the kickstand as usual, pressing the remote unlock lever and pushing the bike forward.
Vertical Parking: Only When Disengaged
When not in use, the Lockstand QuadStruts do not interfere with vertical parking of the GSD. However, please remember to disengage the QuadStruts before parking your bike vertically.
Lockstand QuadStruts Max Load Limit
The max load limit of the Lockstand QuadStruts is 100 kg (220 lb). This includes the total weight of the bike, accessories, cargo, and passengers. When using the QuadStruts, do not exceed the limit.