How to Upgrade Your DuoStand Gen 1 Using the DuoStand Ends
This article refers to the DuoStand Gen 1, which is only compatible with the HSD. If you are looking for information about other bikes or other kickstands, check out this article instead.
In 2021, we launched the DuoStand Gen 2—a new and improved version of our center-mount dual-leg kickstand for Tern cargo bikes like the HSD, Quick Haul, and Short Haul. As you can see, it looks a little different from the original.
|DuoStand Gen 1||DuoStand Gen 2|
Unlike the Gen 1, the DuoStand Gen 2 comes with replaceable DuoStand Ends, which improve the stand’s functionality. If you already own a DuoStand Gen 1, you can add the DuoStand Ends to upgrade your stand.
This article will introduce the benefits of the DuoStand Ends and explain how to add them to your DuoStand Gen 1. If you’ve just purchased a DuoStand Gen 1 and haven’t installed it yet, please read this article before proceeding with the DuoStand Ends upgrade.
Don’t have a DuoStand Gen 1? Then the DuoStand Gen 2 is for you.
- 1. Benefits of Adding the DuoStand Ends to Your DuoStand Gen 1
- 2. How to Add the DuoStand Ends to Your DuoStand Gen 1
- 3. Please Note…
Adding the DuoStand Ends to your DuoStand Gen 1 gets you three big benefits:
- Extra stability: The DuoStand Ends stick out like feet to widen the DuoStand’s base of support. They’re also made of grippy rubber that provides extra traction. That all adds up to a more stable kickstand, which comes in handy when loading and unloading kids and cargo.
- Protect floors: The rubber that covers the DuoStand Ends can help prevent floor scratches when parking indoors.
- Height-adjustable stand: After adding the DuoStand Ends to your DuoStand Gen 1, you’ll be able to adjust the height of your DuoStand. That means you can swap out your tires but keep your stand (for example, when switching to winter tires).
Option 1: Dealer Installation (Recommended)
Adding the DuoStand Ends to your DuoStand Gen 1 is a little more involved than installing most other accessories and requires special tools. What’s more, any installation mistakes could result in a broken or useless kickstand that may create major hazards.
For these reasons, we highly recommend asking your Tern dealer to install the DuoStand Ends on your DuoStand Gen 1 for you.
Option 2: DIY (Proceed with Caution)
If you don’t have a Tern dealer nearby, it’s possible to install the DuoStand Ends yourself, provided you have the necessary tools and skills.
In addition to your DuoStand Gen 1 and the DuoStand Ends themselves, you’ll need:
- 5 mm Allen Wrench
- 17 mm Wrench x 2
- Hand file
- DuoStand Ends User Manual—follow the instructions carefully to install the Ends
Be sure to keep track of your DuoStand’s mounting hardware when you remove the stand, as you’ll need it to reinstall the stand after adding the DuoStand Ends.
Should you choose to install the DuoStand Ends yourself, follow the directions carefully and exercise caution. Failure to do so may result in serious injury to you, your passenger, and others.
This article is intended to serve as a helpful resource for DuoStand Gen 1 owners. It is for informational and educational purposes only. Use this information at your own risk. Consult with your authorized Tern dealer for professional advice and assistance.