How to Use the Storm Box on the GSD Gen 1
This article refers to GSD Gen 1 bikes
This article contains a hack. The Storm Box is NOT compatible with the GSD Gen 1. However, this hack may work for SOME riders and SOME use cases, with compromised functionality.
If you decide to try it, please make sure all components are properly secured before riding. Riding with loose components may endanger the safety of you, your passengers, and other road users.
When we update a bike, we do everything we can to make sure any new accessories we develop are backward-compatible with the previous model. In the case of the Clubhouse Fort for the GSD Gen 2, we were able to make the Storm Shield compatible with the GSD Gen 1 (equipped with the Clubhouse Gen 1), but not the Storm Box.
That’s because the Storm Box is too large to fit securely on the GSD Gen 1 + Clubhouse Gen 1 combo. Trying to use the Storm Box that way would be sort of like wearing pants a few sizes too big without a belt—more than a little dangerous.
Well, a few of you have told us that you want more—and we don’t blame you! The Storm Box is a pretty handy thing to have. We can’t make it truly compatible with the GSD Gen 1, but what we can do is offer you a hack that may let Gen 1 owners use the Storm Box, with some limitations. And here it is.
What You Need
- GSD Gen 1
- Clubhouse Gen 1 (note: this hack won’t work with a GSD Gen 1 equipped with the Clubhouse Gen 3/Clubhouse+)
- Sidekick Lower Decks
- Strong tie-down strap at least 2.5 m long (such as a Batten Strap)
- (Optional) Two zip-ties at least 15 cm long
How to Hack It
- Install the Clubhouse Gen 1 and Sidekick Lower Decks on your GSD.
- Place the Storm Box over the Clubhouse Gen 1 so that the bottom of the Storm Box is resting on the Sidekick Lower Decks.
- Secure the connection pieces inside the Storm Box. The long and short tongues in the front of the Storm Box must be closed, but the short tongues in the rear won’t help with this setup. Just fold them down to keep them out of the way.
- Secure the Storm Box with your tie-down strap (as shown in the video below) and pull the strap tight. The tie-down strap acts sort of like a belt, holding the Storm Box in place. The cinching of the strap also exposes the protrusions on the Clubhouse Gen 1, which allows you to use both the Kid Lid and the Cargo Lid with the Storm Box. Please don’t try this hack without using the tie-down strap, as this could damage the Storm Box and/or cause a hazard.
- (Optional) Close off both of the Storm Box’s front panels with the zip ties. This step provides extra heel clearance for riders with larger feet, but it also shrinks the size of the Storm Box’s inner pocket and reduces its overall capacity.
- Fasten the velcro on the bottom of the Storm Box to the Sidekick Lower Decks.
Here’s a video that shows the process step-by-step.
Remember to make sure everything is secured nice and tight and use caution when loading and riding.