About Our Warranty
Tern provides two different warranties based on the type of road the bicycle model was designed to be ridden on:
1. Graded and Maintained Gravel Roads (HSD, GSD)
This Tern bike is designed for individual personal use: riding with both wheels in contact with paved roads or graded and maintained gravel roads.
2. Paved Roads Only (All other Tern bicycles)
This Tern bike is designed for individual personal use: riding with both wheels in contact with paved roads only.
In addition, all Tern bikes are not intended for racing, jumps, hops, wheelies, or similar activities which may cause damage to the bicycle and risk injury or death to the rider.
The warranty information below refers to all Tern bicycles.
Tern bicycles are sold on behalf of our company (“Tern”) by selected Authorized Tern Dealers who understand the assembly and service needs of our products. Tern provides a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship to the original retail purchaser (“Owner”) of a Tern bicycle from the date of purchase according to the following terms:
- Five Years: Frame, Handlepost, and Fork
- One Year: All Tern or BioLogic branded parts and components, except as noted below.
- Other: Any other parts or components are covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer of that part or component.
This warranty supersedes any other warranty supplied by Tern.
Extended 10-Year Warranty
Owners who sign up for Tern Care will be covered by an extended 10-year warranty for the Frame, Handlepost, and Fork, as long as they sign up within 30 days of purchase and are the original purchasers. In addition, the bike must have been assembled by an Authorized Tern Dealer at the time of purchase—regardless of whether the bike was purchased from a physical or online store.
The following items are excluded from the extended 10-year warranty:
- Paint finish
- Bikes for commercial use
- All other parts not specifically listed (for example, but not limited to: Motorized Drive System)
The warranty does not mean that the Frame, Handlepost, and Fork are indestructible. All materials can fail if pushed beyond design and manufacturing limits. It simply means that these items are covered under the specific terms of this limited warranty.
The Owner shall demonstrate reasonable care and use, and follow preventive maintenance, storage, and lubrication schedules as required by use, climate and other pertinent factors. Should a product defect become known, the Owner should stop riding the bicycle and transport the bike or part(s) to an Authorized Tern Dealer for warranty repair (within the applicable warranty period). The transport of the bike or any bike part to and from the dealer shop is the Owner’s responsibility and at the owner’s expense.
All claims to this warranty must be made through a Tern Authorized Dealer or exclusive distributor. Proof of purchase, either digital or physical copy, must be supplied with any warranty request. All Tern bicycles must be registered via Tern Care before a warranty claim may be processed.
In addition, the Owner must confirm that they have received the Owner Briefing from their dealer or that they have watched the Owner Briefing video on ternbicycles.com/support.
This warranty does not cover damage and/or defects that occur under the following conditions:
- If a bike has been used, ridden, handled, maintained or overloaded in a manner that does not abide by the product speciﬁcations, intended use or guidelines in the Owner’s Manual. This includes, but is not limited to, off-road riding.
- Commercial use of any kind. Here is our basic Commercial Warranty. Please consult your commercial agent for their service agreement terms or contact us at [email protected].
- Normal wear and tear. Parts are subject to varying wear life depending on use, load, weather, road conditions, etc.
- Paint finish is considered consumable and is not part of the warranty.
- If a bike or part has been re-assembled, repaired or maintained by personnel not authorized by Tern.
- If a bike has been subjected to ﬁre, ﬂood, accidental breakage, improper actions by third parties, and/or any event outside Tern’s control.
- Modification of the Frame, Fork, Handlepost, or Components.
- Installation of Parts, Accessories, Motor Units or Batteries not originally intended or compatible with the bicycle as sold.
- If the frame number and/or service tag on the bike has been defaced, modiﬁed, manipulated or is otherwise not clearly identiﬁable.
Tern Warranty Support
Tern will repair or replace any parts that manifest a defect in materials and/or workmanship during the warranty period. Any part that is replaced pursuant to this warranty will be replaced by parts of the same or similar design. However, Tern reserves the right to replace defective parts with other parts of different design or color manufactured by or on behalf of Tern, provided that such replacement will not reduce the function of the original part.
Due to product evolution and obsolescence, some components may not be available for older models. In these cases, sourcing and payment for components are the responsibility of the Owner.
Tern may, at its discretion, repair or replace defective parts falling outside the warranty period, but such work shall not be deemed to be any admission of liability.
Any Frame, Handlepost, or Fork replaced under the warranty terms will be covered for the remaining period of the warranty of the bike.
This is the only warranty made by Tern and no employee, agent, or reseller of Tern is authorized to make any other warranty on behalf of Tern.
This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement, at Tern’s discretion, of a defective part and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty applies only to the original retail purchaser and is not transferable. This warranty only covers bicycles and bicycle components purchased through an Authorized Tern Dealer and is only valid within the country in which the bicycle was originally purchased. As not all models or parts are sold in all countries, service is not guaranteed outside of the original country of purchase. Claims made outside of the original country of purchase or the Authorized Tern Dealer network may be subject to additional fees and/or delays in obtaining service parts and information. For internet sales, the original country of purchase is defined as the country in which the seller is located.
Should there be any modifications done on the bike that is not specified by Tern, the Owner assumes complete responsibility for any risk or injury that may arise from riding or using a bicycle with any modifications or changes from the standard manufacturer’s offering excepting manufacturer mandated modification(s) (“Modified Bicycle”). The Owner understands that a Modified Bicycle does not necessarily conform to relevant safety standards so using and/or riding is inherently dangerous and may cause serious injuries, including bodily injury and/or damage to personal property.
This limited warranty is in lieu of all other expressed or implied warranties, including any warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or use otherwise applicable to this product. Tern shall not be liable for any special incidental or consequential damage, including lost profits.
There are no warranties extended other than as provided herein. This limited warranty may be modified only by Tern.
If any part of this warranty does not comply with local law, then it shall be deemed separable from the rest of this warranty, which remains enforceable and shall be interpreted as the closest meaning of that written above, in English, or the minimum required by such local law. This warranty does not affect the statutory rights of the consumer.